Communications Officer Job at FHI 360
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges.
FHI 360 is recruiting a Communications Officer for a new activity, Safeguarding Democratic Space in Kenya (SADES-K), which will be implemented from 2018 to 2021. The overall goal of SADES-K is to enhance Kenya’s ability to hold a national conversation on reforms and national cohesion, and to safeguard democratic gains, including protecting civic space, respect for human rights and observance of rule of law.
The Communications Officer will support the SADES-K Chief of Party and other project staff in coordinating the day-to-day implementation of communication activities at the community, county and national levels.
Communications Officer Job Responsibilities
- Coordinating project communications with local stakeholders and the dissemination of outreach materials;
- Overseeing dissemination of invites, newsletters, press releases and other announcements;
- Organizing, managing and building stakeholder contact lists;
- Assisting in organizing project related workshops and events;
- Supporting the design, coordination, and supervision of campaigns, including proposed visibility strategy activities and consulting on media-related activities;
- Working with traditional and social media to promote project activities related to good governance, social inclusion, and freedom of expression.
Qualifications for the Communications Officer Job
- University degree in journalism, communications, law, international affairs or related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience with a broad range of media platforms, including radio, TV, social and digital media.
- At least 2 years’ technical experience engaging with government, private sector and civil society stakeholders.
- Previous experience in civic communication and community mobilization.
- Prior exposure and experience working with USAID or similar donor programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Kiswahili.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
How to Apply