Chief of Section, Digital Engagement Jobs, Communication Jobs, NGO Jobs, UN Jobs
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. UN Environment’s Communication Division communicates UN Environment’s core messages to all stakeholders and partners, raising environmental awareness and enhancing the profile of UN Environment worldwide. This post is located in UN Environments Communication Division at the Nairobi duty station. Under the guidance of the Director and the supervision of the Senior Public Information Officer (Deputy Director), the incumbent will perform the following:
Responsibilities for the Chief of Section, Digital Engagement Job
- Strategy and innovation: provide overall strategic direction to the work of the section, with appropriate strategic framing for the requirements of the section’s clients, underpinned by a sustained innovation strategy that delivers the mandate of the section at the cutting edge of associated industry practices, techniques, technologies, and approaches;
- Planning, monitoring, and assessment: plan, monitor, and assess the section’s work in the context of the organization’s communication strategy and the division’s project commitments to UN Environment’s Programme of Work and its Medium Term Strategy;
- Management and oversight: manage and oversee the section’s work, including close collaboration with UN Environment and UNON ICT entities, and its human and other resources, in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures, rules, and regulations;
- Resource mobilization: mobilise and manage resources for the section and for the division;
- Reporting and communication: ensure timely and comprehensive analysis, reporting and documentation as per client, division, corporate, and donor requirements;
- Media relations and partnerships development and management: develop and maintain effective relationships and strategic partnerships with premiere news and social media entities and manage such initiatives for results;
- Pitching and placement: pitch and secure placement for UN Environment stories, messages, and initiatives across print, digital, mobile and broadcast media platforms;
- Deputy Spokesperson: serve as the Deputy Spokesperson for UN Environment upon task delegation by the Spokesperson;
- Writing and editing: provide high-level writing and editing support in the context of the section’s work on a needs basis;
- Risk management: manage risks associated with the organization’s news media, web, and social and hybrid media work;
- UN Environment Live and Access to Information Focal Point: serve as the division’s focal point for UN Environment Live and for the Access to Information policy.
- Perform any other relevant tasks as requested.
Chief of Section, Digital Engagement Job Qualifications
- Professionalism: Ability to efficiently plan, develop, implement and monitor the Digital Strategy Section work-plan to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery of results that best serve the interests of the organization. Knowledge of policies and procedures for the creation and maintenance of information repositories and websites, media mailing lists to ensure security and on-going accessibility of the institutional memory. Highly developed conceptual, analytical and innovative problem-solving ability; demonstrated ability to handle complex business process and information integration issues; extensive theoretical background and experience in digital engagement, information management and technologies; in-depth knowledge of, and extensive experience in, systems design, and development, management, implementation and maintenance of complex information systems; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.situations.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailor’s language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Managing Performance:Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority ;Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills ;Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff ;Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative ;Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; Appraises performance fairly.
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in mass communication, media, journalism or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in communication including seven years’ experience leading (strategy, management) complex digital communication operations comprising of a full digital newsroom, web platforms, social media channels, hybrid marketing and resource mobilization strategies. Experience working with an international and/or development agency is an advantage.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and oral English is required. Working knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.