Established on a modern campus of 75 acres 45 kilometers outside of Nairobi, the M-PESA Foundation Academy is a state of the art, co-educational and residential High school offering the Kenyan National Curriculum. Driven by leadership, entrepreneurship, technology, and innovation, the Academy serves talented, economically disadvantaged students with demonstrated leadership potential. M-PESA Foundation Academy offers a world-class, well-rounded learning environment to develop future leaders. The Academy places great emphasis on the holistic development of learners not just in academics but also in technology, music, sports, the arts, outdoor pursuits, and community service. Learners are exposed to the latest technology as part of the day-to-day teaching and the school prides itself in molding future leaders and entrepreneurs.
The Academy has recently launched an innovative Centre for Leadership development as part of its portfolio of future-thinking offerings. The Uongozi (Swahili word for leadership) Centre will provide a new bridging curriculum for promising and highly motivated students who have completed their high school education (KCSE) and are preparing for the next step in their educational and or entrepreneurial journeys. This new and 21st century-forward looking curriculum will be composed of a rich variety of courses and experiences.
Premised on a Core Curriculum that will dually support:
- Students seeking an Academic path and preparing for University entrances; orientations and requisite networks; and
- Those aspiring to an Entrepreneurial future and thus seeking to delve deeper into practical and vocational skills as well as start-up projects
The Centre will also run a leadership program that will equip the students with skills that will include:
- Deepening global awareness and an ability to compete
- Appreciating cultural diversity
- Growing their self-leadership and ability to architect an independent future
- Embedding a deeper appreciation of the Continent and the desire to solve the challenges of Africa
- Sharpening oral presentation and written communications skills
- Embedding a problem-solving orientation and innovation mindset
This unique curriculum will last for 7 months for those going onto higher education and up to 12 months for those on the entrepreneurial program. The first cohort of students will join in January 2020
The Academy is seeking its inaugural Director of Uongozi Centre who will establish the Centre and place it on the path for success and sustainability. Reporting to CEO this is a senior role for a strategic and innovative individual who is well steeped in the world of inducing learning, networking and is keen to establish an institution of impact.
The Director of the Uongozi Centre will have specific responsibility for:
- Leading and completing the design and implementation of the Uongozi curriculum
- Formulating the longer-term strategy and operational blueprint for the Centre
- Setting the structure; policies, guidelines, and principles along which the Centre will be run
- Facilitating the appointment of students and stewarding their success through the different arms of the program
- Establishing important internal and external networks with eclectic stakeholders within the country and outside
- Formulating mutually beneficial partnerships that will be of benefit to the Centre as it grows in scale and impact
- Taking responsibility and leadership in providing guidance & mentoring, work experiences and internships,
- Developing networks that maintain contact with alumni – who are the future leaders of Kenya and the continent
- Supporting the boarding activities of the resident students on campus
- Overseeing university admission and placement process in local and international universities
- Coordinates day‐to‐day operations of the office.
The Director of Uongozi should ideally possess a majority of the following attributes
Competencies, Knowledge & Skills,
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Ability to design curricula
- Strategic and tactical agility to start something afresh and build it from the ground up.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and organization skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact tactfully with all levels of the internal Academy staff and students as well as external stakeholders and audiences
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to network locally and across borders
- Ability to inspire trust, confidence and to mentor
- Ability to collaborate across departments and functions
- Ability to take initiative and assume responsibility, but also work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to work successfully with diverse populations and commitment to promote and enhance student success
- Knowledge of social media, student development, and issues affecting students
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- International experience
- The desire to work with young people
- Impassioned about building Kenya and Africa
Education And Experience
- Minimum of a honors degree from an internationally recognized university
- Minimum of 5 years of leadership and supervisory experience
- Experience with students
- A good business acumen
- Understanding of modern technology and its applications
How To Apply
This is a residential position and the successful candidate will be provided requisite accommodation.Interested candidates should email a Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae/Resume to email@example.com by April 10th, 2019.
This is a residential position and the successful candidate will be provided requisite accommodation.