Action Against Hunger has been present in Kenya since 2001 and is a transformative leader in nutrition security for improved quality of life among vulnerable communities.
Action Against Hunger wants to contribute to the optimal functional performance of National, County, and Community systems through strategic partnerships for innovative nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific interventions to achieve its impact.
Action Against Hunger is currently implementing activities in West Pokot, Mandera, Samburu, Isiolo, Trans Nzoia, Kakamega, Bungoma and Busia counties.
Action Against Hunger- Kenya Program is looking for a Roving Finance Assistant to be based in Nairobi.
The role reports hierarchically and technically to the Capital Finance Officer Kenya Mission.
Objective 1: Accountancy
- Reception of monthly accounting documents from the bases and the Capital.
- Verification of the proper documentation against the cashbooks.
- Verification of procedures applied and their compliance.
- Keeping a monthly record of Nairobi office and base payment vouchers in Nairobi office.
- Submit to his/her supervisor a report on missing and improper documents between the departments.
- Follow up on the missing and improper documents sent back to the bases.
- Focal person for external audits for submitting the required receipts or preparing the package to send to Headquarters in case of internal audits to be done at HQ level.
Objective 2: Cash & Bank Management
- Making cash payment and the custodian of Nairobi office cash box.
- Managing the work advances as per the ACF policy.
- Record all working advances in the advance book and follow up on their clearance by staff.
- Make cash count as per set requirements- weekly and end month.
Objective 3: Review of documentation, filing & archiving
- Review of all documentation to ensure completeness.
- Printing of donor expenses reports and filling in a monthly basis.
- Responsible for retrieving, preparation and production of documents needed for audits.
- Follow with Base Admins to ensure that they send monthly documentation to Nairobi office on a timely basis.
- Filing and archiving at Nairobi level per month per donor and filing of grants/ finance related documentation.
Objective 4: Auditing
- Provide auditors with necessary documentation during audits.
- Follow up on recommendations provided by auditors to ensure that they are adhered to.
Objective 5: Support to Field / Bases
- Visit the field bases regularly, provide recommendations and follow up on action points raised.
- Provide support for all bases on financial issues.
Objective 6: General Finance
- Raise all payments vouchers & petty cash vouchers at Nairobi level.
- Liaise with the respective department for any discrepancy/ missing or clarification in procedure.
The above tasks are not limited and can be added to, modified or changed according to the changing needs of the department.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Management or its equivalent.
- Any level of CPA will be an added advantage
- Flexible and adaptable to changing work conditions.
- Minimum one year of professional finance or accounting experience, preferably in an NGO
- Knowledge of finance/accounting procedures.
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills as well as verbal and written communication
- Proficiency in computer skills to include spread sheets, internet/e-mail, accounting package
- Knowledge of techniques used in maintaining balancing and classing accounts in an accounting system
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Self-starter with a strong desire to promote and implement continuous improvement endeavors
How to Apply
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
email@example.com not later than 21st February 2019 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. e.g Roving Finance Assistant-AAHK Only Shorlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply