Ref. No. IRS/301/122018
The Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF – https://www.rsif-paset.org/) is one of the flagship programmes of the Partnership for Skills in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (PASET), an initiative by African governments to address systemic gaps in skills and knowledge necessary for long-term, sustained economic growth in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). PASET was launched in 2013 by the governments of Senegal, Ethiopia and Rwanda. The governments of Kenya and Ivory Coast have since joined the initiative, while several others have expressed commitment to enter the partnership.
With funding from African governments, the World Bank and the Korean government, RSIF aims to support PhD training, and research and innovation in various African universities selected as centres of excellence in fields identified by PASET as priority economic sectors for growth and development, including food security.
ICT and materials science. A competitive grants scheme, RSIF has two components:
- the general fund, which supports PhD training, research and innovation projects annually; and
- the permanent or endowment fund, whose return proceeds will become part of the general fund.
In July 2018, the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (www.icipe.org) was appointed the Regional Coordination Unit (RCU) of RSIF. The mandate of the RCU includes managing the two funds and supporting the capacity of the universities and partnering institutions to administer the PhD scholarships. The assignment also includes creating partnerships with governments, universities and national and international research organisations for research training, e.g. through sandwich training, to promote collaboration with and among the centres of excellence. As well, the RCU will help introduce more African governments and other potential strategic partners to PASET to fund and to ensure continued continent-wide support.
Reporting to the RCU Manager, the ICT Specialist will manage the ICT system for the programme that will include systems within RCU and partner institutions. S/he will be responsible for providing support to the RCU, providing innovative insights into digital applications, and staying abreast of relevant upcoming technology trends across sectors.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Develop an ICT strategy for the programme.
- Design and implement ICT research, product development and innovation in support of key priority sectors of the programme.
- Responsible for supporting digital efforts including emerging areas like artificial intelligence and big data analytics, internet of things and other internet applications.
- Integrate ICT tools to increase access to and improve the quality of training programmes.
- Develop ICT systems to facilitate management and reporting of Programme activities at the RCU and partner institutions.
- Build ICT capacity of partner institutions. Conduct outreach to RCU’s internal and external clients.
- Organizing and sharing digital knowledge and experience, contributing to the design of digital activities for RCU.
- Advice on and assist in procurement of new RCU ICT systems and equipment.
- Maintain currency of business systems, documentation, website and other information portals.
- Masters degree in computer science, engineering or related field. PhD in the relevant field will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in relevant field.
- ICT research and/or software development.
- Design of knowledge management systems
- Web design and development is an added advantage.
This position reports to the RCU Manager.
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted up to 25th January 2019. Interested applicants should submit:
(a) a confidential cover letter;
(b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers); and
(c) a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values
gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.