The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Regional Bureau of East and Central Africa, located in Nairobi provides strategic and policy guidance as well as technical support to WFP operations and activities in nine countries: Burundi, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, Eritrea, Somalia, South Sudan, Djibouti and Uganda.
We are currently seeking to fill the position of of an Intern in the Information Technology Unit of the Regional Bureau, Nairobi.
The Information Technology Unit provides regional coordination of SCOPE initiatives in the region by supporting Country Offices (COs) in the deployment & scale up strategies, planning, procurement, development / review of many documents such as: implementation plan, data sharing agreement, data privacy impact assessment, project plan, Terms of Reference for staffing SCOPE teams, written test questions, oral interview questions; training, presentations, engagement & support missions and mission reports, action points and follow up in regular calls with COs and other stakeholders in WFP Rome Headquarters; coordination with other SCOPE teams in Headquarters, Bangkok and Nairobi; coordination with other units in HQ (Legal, Data Protection) and in Regional Bureau, review HQ issued documents.
- Currently enrolled in the University and have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies or have recently graduated from an undergraduate or graduate programme within the last 6 months’ from a university preferably in Information Technology, Statistics, Data Analysis, Business Intelligence, International Business & Management, Sales & Marketing or other related field;
- Currently enrolled in a graduate programme (Masters degree) from a recognized university and have attended classes in the past 12 months;
- Fluent in English (both oral and written) is a must; knowledge of a second UN language, preferably French would be an asset;
- Proficiency in MS Office, data analysis tool, online tools, communication applications.
SCOPE is in the heart of the WFP Digital Transformation agenda which is a corporate priority; the demand is currently high on SCOPE, Data and Project Management skilled resources. SCOPE enables the Cash-Based-Transfer (CBT) business process model which by definition, is cross functional. The intern will be involved in SCOPE planning, deployment / scale up, support, reporting and training. Tasks will include:
- Follow-up to Country Offices’ requests and monitor the implementation status/progress and report on blocking issues, delays and showstoppers to the RBN SCOPE team (Regional SCOPE Support (RSS) + Regional SCOPE Coordinator (RSC)). Engagement with the CO will be initiated by the RSCBTO;
- Create / update / close Action Points lists and join regular calls with COs for discussion and follow up;
- Engage with the relevant SCOPE (HQ, Bangkok and Nairobi, CO) and other business teams in HQ and RBN (Legal, Data Protection, etc.) to ensure that timely support is provided to Country Offices;
- Support the RSC by coordinating with the relevant TECB teams in the development and review of any SCOPE related documentation;
- Be the RSC alternate when RSC is out of office to guarantee service continuity keeping the RSC in copy always;
- Participate in internal TECB and RBN meetings, country status update calls and regional meeting, when and if needed;
- Document NFR where appropriate and maintain/update existing tools to track engagements status across the region;
- Perform any other duties as required.
- Proper follow up of ongoing activities: action points lists are updated and shared;
- Monthly status updates issued before deadline;
- Short reports / notes on meetings attended;
- Complete and organized documentation on projects / activities per CO in Teams (not filing archives or hardcopies but abiding by the set filing procedures and collaboration tools in place such as Office 365);
- Ensure tickets are opened, prioritized and escalated when required;
Training Components & Learning Elements
- CBT & Programme manuals
- SCOPE hands on training
- SCOPE academy, online learning in WFP WeLearn
- Microsoft Office 365 tools
Other Specific Job Requirements
- Ethics and integrity
- Customer service skills
- Communication skills
- Excellent in documentation
- Listening and writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and inter-cultural competencies and team player.
Terms And Conditions
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP up to the maximum amount of US$1000 per month depending on the duty station of assignment.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
- Depending on the duty station of assignment, WFP will reimburse travel ticket for candidates who are nationals of developing countries and are pursuing their studies in their home country.
- WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognised institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education;
Deadline: 10TH MARCH 2019