Input Agronomist Jobs, Agricultural Jobs, Amiran Kenya Jobs
A part of the Balton CP group of companies headquartered in the United Kingdom and spread throughout Africa, Amiran Kenya provides complete solutions in all of its fields of expertise. Through decades of partnership with Kenya’s large and small-scale growers, Amiran has become a “one stop shop” for all of Kenya’s agricultural needs.
Amiran launched Project Madaraka in 2019, an initiative to offer farming equipment and inputs on credit to smaller-scale, commercially oriented farmers.
We wish to recruit a highly competent, proactive, dynamic and self-driven individual to fill the following position, which is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
As part of the Project Madaraka team, the Inputs Agronomist (‘’IA’’) will work in close collaboration with the Chemicals, Fertiliser and Seeds teams at Amiran, to lead the development of input packages and provision of after sales agronomy support to small holder farmers. The IA will also support credit sales and marketing efforts as necessary. Sales leads will be predominantly generated through outgrower schemes of major buyers of agricultural produce, across a broad range of value chains in horticulture, grains and other commodity crops.
Developing the input offering in collaboration with Amiran Seeds, Chemicals and Fertiliser teams
- Developing input packages of seeds, chemicals and fertiliser according to outgrower program manager specifications, needs and yield expectations; optimising for cost / benefit to the farmer
- Determining protocols for the application of the input packages and developing the related training and marketing materials to communicate the protocols to the farmer
Supporting sales and marketing of input credit packages under Project Madaraka
- Working closely with outgrower program managers, Amiran internal teams and other key stakeholders, to identify opportunities to expand the range of inputs sold to farmers; based on farmer needs and market requirements
- Collecting and analysing relevant market information on agricultural inputs to ensure our products are positioned and marketed to outgrowers in a way that is clearly differentiated from alternatives
- Attending and participating as required in sales & marketing events where input packages are presented to outgrowers
- Liaising with internal teams in sales, credit and logistics to ensure adequate product is in stock in order to meet demand for credit sales orders on a timely basis
After sales agronomy support to Project Madaraka customers in partnership with outgrower managers
- Training farmers on the correct application of inputs
- Visiting farms to report on progress of the crop and verification of input usage
- Reporting back to the credit team on a timely basis on farm performance and any potential risks to target yields being achieved per outgrower
- Developing scalable solutions to delivering training and after sales agronomy support to farmers, liaising with third party IT and other service providers as necessary
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in agriculture or related fields
- Excellent communications, interpersonal, organizational and administrative skills
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Powerpoint) skills
- Experience of providing effective training on application of inputs to small holder farmers
- Extensive knowledge of production of field crops across agriculture value chains in horticulture, grains and other commodity crops
- Project management experience in rural areas
- Willing to travel regularly to outgrower schemes across the country
- Valid driving license
- Experience in agrochemicals and fertiliser sales to farmers
- Experience managing a diverse range of business relationships across agricultural value chains (suppliers, outgrower scheme managers, extension officers etc)
- Experience working as an agronomist in an outgrower scheme
- Masters degree in agriculture and / or other postgraduate qualifications or professional certifications in agriculture
- Expertise using technology tools to manage agronomic farm data, and deliver / manage the provision of extension services
- Passion for catalysing the growth of small-scale commercial farming in Kenya
- Learner mindset, seeks to fully understand then solve problems creatively
- Openness to acquiring further qualifications relevant to the role
- Self-starter, able to work independently with minimal supervision, clearly define tasks and objectives; then make decisions inclusively to drive business results
- Entrepreneurial approach, embracing uncertainty and rapid change of a startup environment
- Willing to perform unglamorous duties to get the job done and pay attention to details that matter
- Prioritises communicating with others, is a great listener, well organized and self-disciplined
- Passion for helping others grow and contributing to team spirit with a positive attitude, humility, and a good sense of humor
- Embrace and embody Balton CP group values
How To Apply
If you feel you are a good fit for this role, send your CV and cover letter in PDF format, with each document no longer than 1 page in length, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st July 2019 before 5:00pm East African time. (Please note that Hard Copies will not be accepted). The forwarding e-mail and cover letter must clearly indicate the job title on the subject line.
Amiran Kenya Limited reserves the right to accept or reject any application. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please note that we do not charge any fees for receiving or processing job applications.