Continuously ensure internal control systems, risk management and governance, procedures and policies with a view to minimize risk exposure for utilization of assets and other resources.
- Develop annual internal audit plans for approval by appropriate authority and ensuring that routine audits are carried out as per agreed plan;
- Review all Trust policies and other statutory requirements to ensure compliance with the laid down internal controls;
- Review operations and programs activities to ensure they are consistent with established objectives and goals;
- Conduct discussions with line Managers on commencement and completion of all audits;
- Check the soundness of accounting procedures and reliability of financial records and reports;
- Conduct audit reviews of policy and compliance to standards/regulatory requirements;
- Ensure there is adherence to statutory and reporting requirements;
- Liaise with external Auditors to foster co-operation, reduce duplication of effort and ensure appropriate sharing of information;
- Guarantee complete confidentiality of records and information obtained during the course of audit jobs;
- Regularly inspect Trust records and transactions and evolve scrutiny methodology to ensure compliance;
- Carry out audits and investigations as practised in Internal Audit role;
- Audit the utilization of donor funds disbursed to various projects; and
- Ensure safe custody of all Audit Documentation.
- Responsible for Business Continuity Plans for MESPT;
- Prepare and monitor the management of annual budgets for the department;
- Develop and ensure implementation of a risk and compliance framework on the Trust’s overall risk management strategies and annual work plans;
- Report to the Board Audit Committee in a timely manner on any risk related threats and advice on risk mitigation plans of identified risks;
- Create risk awareness to managers and staff on risks relevant to their departments and at individual level to enhance understanding of their accountability for their departments’ risks;
- Provide support, education and training to staff to build risk awareness within the organization;
- Assist in Preparation of risk reports for stakeholders (internal);
- Advise on the shortcomings and gaps of policies and procedures of the institution to ensure compliance and give advisory during policy & procedure formulation; and
- Ensure appropriate controls and procedures are established in the key departments of organization.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Secretary to the Board’s Audit Committee;
- Keep abreast with regional and international trends and identify new and emerging risks in the business;
- To conduct any reviews or tasks requested by trustees and the Risk and Audit Committee; and
- Carry out any other tasks that may be assigned from time to time.
Anti-Fraud and Bribery Policy
- Review and update the Anti-fraud and bribery policy as appropriate, ensuring that MESPT staff are aware of the policy and trained in how to use it;
- Maintain fraud and bribery register, provide advice on Fraud Policy and give support in event of suspected fraud, carrying out investigation as required and ensuring appropriate authorities are reported of any incidences in accordance with the statutory requirement;
- Keep abreast with legal and donor related development associated with the Kenya Bribery Act No. 47 of 2016.
- Effectiveness of audits
- Audit reports
- Collection and compilation of audit evidence
- Verification and testing for accuracy of transactions
- Risk control and management initiatives
- Defined risk management strategies
- Audit Work Plan
- Defined Risks Parameters
- Established Risk Mitigation plans
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounts, Actuarial Science or Equivalent;
- A CPA (K) holder registered with the Institute of Certified Public Accounts of Kenya ICPAK) and in good standing.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) is an added advantage
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) is an added advantage
- Master’s degree is an added advantage
- 8 years in internal and/or external audit position where internal audit experience is mandatory;
- 5 years’ experience in a managerial position;
- Impeccable organisational skill;
- Keen analytical ability;
- Professional manner for interviewing and investigating;
- Conviction and confidence to make recommendations based on findings;
- High integrity personality.
- Experience in the finance function of a not-for-profit or charitable organization.
- Experience of writing financial procedures.
In compliance with chapter six of the constitution, the Successful candidate should provide the following;
- Police Clearance Certificate form the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (CID);
- Clearance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB);
- A Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA);
- A Clearance Certificate from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC); and
- A Clearance Certificate from Credit Reference Bureau (CRB).
How To Apply
Qualified and interested candidates should send their application letters, detailed CV with email address, daytime telephone contacts, names and email contacts of 3 professional referees, with one being the current supervisor to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting, Job Reference and Job Title in the subject line.
Applicants should indicate their current and expected salaries in their application letters.
Please do not send certificates at this stage.
Deadline for applications is Friday, 25th January 2019 at 4.00 p.m.
MESPT is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and committed to Gender Equity and Diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.