International Communications Consultant Jobs, Communications Jobs, United Nations Development Programme
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
International Communications Consultant
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Location: Nairobi
- Job Field: Consultancy NGO/Non-Profit
Under the supervision of the Deputy Regional Director, in close collaboration with UN Women’s field-based presences and relevant HQ units, the Communications Consultant will be responsible for developing strategic communications and media initiatives; managing media/press coverage; oversees the production of a range of communications materials for UN Women, including for the UN Women Regional Office website, and for online and offline audiences. The consultant will be responsible for timely, accurate and high-quality informational materials, such as press releases & media advisories, news briefs, fact sheets, stories from the field etc. for media outreach, the UN Women website, and inclusion in informational kits for further public outreach.
The Communications Consultant will collaborate closely with the Headquarters, Regional, Multi-Country Office and Country Offices’ (RO/MCO/CO) colleagues to ensure communications strategies, media relations and organizational outreach efforts are aligned with corporate communications policies and initiatives. S/he also collaborates with RO/MCO and CO colleagues to support outreach campaigns and related initiatives.
Support to UN Women special events and campaigns and programing:
- Ensure UN Women inputs to special events are initiated, conceptualized and implemented with a view to reaching wider audiences;
- Manage implementation of specific flagship events and campaigns scheduled during the period of contract;
- Ensure communication is fully intergraded in UN Women development programs;
- Provide feedback to HQ communications team provided with a view to coordinate communications initiatives;
- Regular liaison with Communications Officers/focal points from other UN entities at the regional / country level to provide UN Women inputs to joint UN initiatives.?
Manage UN Women Media/press Relations
- Ensure media strategies are implemented in line with corporate guidelines to enhance the positioning of UN Women with the media, with a special focus on regional priority areas of concern.
- Organize visibility/ communication initiatives with external partners;
- Prepare briefing sessions and talking points as required;
- Timely response to media inquiries, public and interested stakeholders; issuance of statement and corporate positions to media and other external audiences.
- Manage press relationships and work with existing communication partnerships;
- Identify and apply innovative opportunities, new communications tools and platforms which can serve to highlight the work of UN Women.
Coordinate and maintain regional online outreach and produce information materials for public outreach as part of ESAR KM facility:
- Coordinate the production of communication materials, including briefing materials, press releases, and articles to ensure all they meet the corporate policies, norms and standards for publishing;
- Manage the dissemination of communication materials to relevant target audiences;
- Coordinate the management of regional social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy or provides inputs to corporate social media accounts;
- Contribute to tracking the impact of ESARs media outreach and impact.
- Timely monitoring and reporting of current events and trends;
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content developed for events;
- Timely coordination and updating of UN Women website and social media platforms;
- Timely dissemination of information and materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in the region;
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent communication, presentation, networking and advocacy skills. Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Demonstrates good understanding of and experience in communications and outreach;
- Effective at multi-tasking;
- Interacts effectively with all levels of the organization, including senior management;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Identifies opportunities and builds strong relationships with clients and partners;
- Demonstrates exceptional ability to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Good IT skills and knowledge of web-based knowledge management systems including WordPress, Site Core, etc.;
- Strong analytical and creative skills.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, journalism, public relations, social sciences, international relations, or a related field.
- 5 years of experience in communications at the national or international level, including experience in media relations;
- Experience in implementing communication and publication strategies;
- Experience in on-line outreach, multimedia and web management;
- Experience working in large development institutions;
- Familiarity with gender issues. Experience working in the UN system and preferably in gender and human rights issues is an added advantage;
- Outstanding oral and written communications and editing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Experience using multiple office software packages.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
How to Apply