Laboratory Manager Jobs, Pharmaceutical Jobs, NGO Jobs, ILRI Jobs
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Laboratory Manager/Technical Researcher to oversee processes of the Mazingira Centre laboratory. The laboratory manager will contribute to ongoing projects within the Mazingira Centre with the overall objective of investigating and quantifying the environmental footprint of livestock systems in Africa as well as the identification of promising Climate Smart Agriculture interventions.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR Research Centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
The lab manager, with proven competences in environmental/chemical/biomedical engineering or related discipline, will
- oversee the management of the laboratory infrastructure, which will include the procurement, servicing and maintenance of a huge variety of state-of-the art analytical instruments such as laser absorption spectroscopes, gas-chromatographs, near-infrared spectrometer (NIRS) and other instrumentation, wet chemistry laboratory instruments used in field and laboratory research at ILRI jointly with a team of research technicians and research associates.
- Oversee the develop of laboratory protocols for processes and equipment, programming of equipment. Examples are: measuring greenhouse gas fluxes from livestock systems, measurements of water and/or air pollution.
- Develop and maintain plans, permits, and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for environmental and bioscience projects.
- Keep abreast with new technologies and advise on the suitability, acquisition and implementation of any new procedures or equipment.
- Manage external requests for sample analysis in terms of planning according to laboratory capacity and generate the necessary invoices.
- Provide technical support training to scientists and technical staff in the use of instrumentation and will contribute and lead the research and development of new products and procedures.
- Supervise laboratory technicians to build their technical capacity in order to meet highest analytical standards.
- Work with other internal units to ensure quality and timely outputs. Provide support to facilities at Kapiti and in Biosciences, in the management of high-precision analytical equipment.
- Have the freedom to contribute and/or develop own project ideas which related to the overall scope of the Mazingira Centre.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An MSc or higher degree in the field of environment, biomedicine and/or chemistry and/or other relevant technical disciplines
- Minimum of five years’ work experience in a state-of-the-art environmental or bioscience laboratory working with and maintaining analytical instruments such as laser absorption spectroscopes, gas-chromatographs, and near-infrared spectrometer (NIRS)
- The ability to independently plan, design and implement experiments both in the laboratory and out in the field.
- Solid knowledge of international best practice for laboratory procedure and protocols, maintenance of analytical equipment, data management and sample analysis.
- Experience in micro-meteorological measuring techniques is an asset.
- Experience with statistical software such as R, Python and/or Matlab and laboratory programs such as Lab view.
- Proven ability to supervise and train technical officers and provide necessary quality control.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Experience managing laboratory finances and budgets
- The ability to effectively communicate in a multicultural context.
- The ability to collaborate with technicians and scientists from other disciplines (animal nutrition, ecology, sociology, economy etc.) in an interdisciplinary and multicultural team.
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Position level: This is an internationally recruited position at job level HG17
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical insurance, life insurance and allowances for: education, housing, home leave, and annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
How to Apply
Applications: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the role and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal here on or before 25 November, 2019. The position title and reference number: LM/ SLS/ 2019 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the online application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Qualified women applicants are encouraged to apply
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org