Ref. No. IRS/300/122018
In July 2018, the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (www.icipe.org) was appointed the Regional Coordination Unit (RCU) of RSIF. The mandate of the RCU includes managing the two funds and supporting the capacity of the universities and partnering institutions to administer the PhD scholarships. The assignment also includes creating partnerships with governments, universities and national and international research organisations for research training, e.g. through sandwich training, to promote collaboration with and among the centres of excellence. As well, the RCU will help introduce more African governments and other potential strategic partners to PASET to fund and to ensure continued continent-wide support.
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the Legal Officer will be responsible for the provision of practical and useful legal advice and services to the RCU, including but not limited to policy, contracts, and procurement and programme related legal matters.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Provide legal advice to guide the decisions of the RCU, and protect the interests of the RSIF;
- Ensure the RCU meets its legal obligations within its contractual agreements with the World Bank, donors, various governments and suppliers;
- Ensure compliance with all necessary legal requirements in countries of operation;
- Write, review, and edit reports, opinions, correspondence, contracts, and other legal documents. Review and guide the execution of partnerships, investments, and procurement agreements and other contracts relating to the work of RCU;
- Direct legal intellectual property matters, and transactional and business issues involving technology and innovation. Build a legal Intellectual Property (IP) management capacity of partner institutions;
- Negotiate agreements on the work of the RCU;
- Conduct and coordinate research into a variety of legal issues;
- Manage external legal experts and any litigation. Represent the RCU as appropriate in any legal proceedings, across various jurisdictions where problems may arise;
- Keep abreast of developments in the legal field that could affect the RCU and prepare reports on relevant matters for consideration by the RCU management;
- Anticipate and guard against legal risks facing the programme. Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk avoidance and mitigation; develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provide general guidance on how to avoid similar situations in the future.
- Be a qualified solicitor with an LLB degree and have a good standing as an advocate of a Higher Court.
- 5 years’ relevant work experience.
- Considerable experience of legal work in a complex corporate setting.
- Experience working in an in-house legal unit offering advice on compliance and regulatory requirements of multilateral and bilateral donors.
Other desirable attributes
- Highly developed negotiating and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent representation skills.
This position reports to the Chief Legal Officer.
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted up to 25th January 2019. Interested applicants should submit:
(a) a confidential cover letter;
(b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers);
(c) a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.