Senior Officer – Legal Jobs, Legal Jobs, Manpower Services jobs
Job Ref: MN 7851
Our Client, is a statutory institution whose mandate as a risk minimiser is to provide a deposit insurance scheme for customers of member institutions and to resolve any institution in respect of which the Corporation is appointed receiver or liquidator. The Corporation enhances incentives for sound risk management and generally promote the stability of the financial system.
Our Client is an employer of choice and keen to recruit aggressive individuals to join the premier organization.
Reporting to the Assistant Manager Legal Affairs the incumbent will provide support to the Deputy General Manager Legal Affairs & Corporation Secretary in the provision of Legal advisory services to the Corporation in the course of the execution of its mandates. The officer shall provide legal expertise to the legal team in monitoring and advising the Corporation on compliance with contractual obligations, development and implementation of Board and Management strategies, policies and procedures on Legal Affairs.
The essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Assisting the Corporation Secretary in preparing board papers including photocopying binding and circulation;
- Assisting the Board Secretary in organizing board activities, including providing information, preparing agenda, issuing notices and preparing for the meeting, board evaluation and board development programs;
- Assisting the Board Secretary in providing secretarial services to the Board including ensuring that the Board work plan is prepared and adhered to, circulating board papers in advance of the meeting, keeping records of attendance at meetings, keeping safe custody of the seal and a record of its usage, and preparing the Board for the annual general meeting where applicable;
- Assisting the Board Secretary in ensuring that the minutes of the Board and Board committees are promptly prepared and circulated;
- Assisting the Board Secretary to coordinate the Board evaluation; and
- Assisting the Board Secretary in organizing Board retreats and seminars.
Conveyancing and Litigation
- Receiving sermons for litigation matters and opening court files;
- Managing court diaries and files;
- Managing bring ups on all legal matters;
- Drafting of court pleadings;
- Responding to correspondences and issues arising out of court matters;
- Open files for new cases and keep an up to date record of all court cases;
- Develop and maintain the filing registry for the Department;
- Manage and update the court diary;
- Update the record on laws of Kenya;
- Assist in attending to claimants and external advocates queries;
- Following up payments of judgments award, claimant lawyers and claimant from finance Directorates;
- Prepare reports on litigation matters;
- Attending court;
- Link between witnesses (staff) and external counsel for pre-trial briefs and statements;
- Custodian of legal instruments sealing register;
- Assessing legal fee notes for settlement.
- Preparing contracts arising from procurement undertaken;
- Preparing contracts and surveyors contracts;
- Drafting and reviewing contracts, leases, agreements;
- Reviewing of service provider contracts as required;
- Drafting of legal opinions;
- Liaising with other departments to ensure that all legal issues relating to contract are properly managed;
- Maintaining register of all contracts entered into between the Corporation and service providers;
- Developing partnerships instruments between the Corporations and other stakeholders e.g. MoUs;
- Facilitating out of court Negotiations and settlements where necessary;
- Drafting legal opinions
- Four (4) years of relevant work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Laws from a recognized institution;
- Diploma in Law (KSL) and Advocate of the High Court;
- Membership to LSK; and
- Proficiency in computer applications.
Key Competencies, Knowledge and Personal Attributes
- Communication skills Analytical skills
- Planning and organizing skills People Management
- Negotiation skills
- Mediation and influencing skills Conflict resolution skill
- Influencing skills
- Tact and diplomacy skills
- Advisory skills
Compliance With Chapter Six (6) Of The Constitution Of Kenya
Applicants are required to immediately initiate self-clearance (Comply with Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya) from: –
- Kenya Revenue Authority (Tax Compliance Certificate)
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Department of Criminal Investigation (Certificate of Good Conduct)
- Higher Education Loans Board
- A Credit Reference Bureau
Please bring the receipts or evidence of the above self-clearance effort to Manpower Services if invited for the preliminary interview. Do not wait to be invited by Manpower Services for you to commence clearance of Chapter 6 requirements
How To Apply
If you meet the requirements as stipulated above, please email your application letter accompanied with a detailed CV and application clearly indicating your current position, current/past and expected remuneration (monthly salary and allowances) to the following email address: email@example.com on or before close of business on Friday, 5th July, 2019.
Our client is an equal opportunity employer. Canvassing in any way will lead to automatic disqualification. Persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.