Senior Legal Officer Job at National Environment Management Authority
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA), is established under the Environmental Management and Co-ordination Act No. 8 of 1999 (EMCA) as the principal instrument of Government for the implementation of all policies relating to environment. EMCA 1999 was enacted against a backdrop of 78 sectoral laws dealing with various components of the environment, the deteriorating state of Kenya’s environment, as well as increasing social and economic inequalities, the combined effect of which negatively impacted on the environment.
Responsibilities for the Senior Legal Officer Job
- Ensuring that all NEMA legal instruments are developed and filed on time.
- Maintaining records of all legal documents.
- Filing legal documents in court.
- Maintaining and updating the Registry for Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) in consultation with other government agencies.
- Preparing briefs and coordinating preparatory meetings for Kenya’s delegation to international meetings relating to MEA’s.
- Assisting in the development of By-laws and ensuring that they are in conformity with the Environmental Management and Coordination Act 1999.
- Liaising with other department’s staff on drafting of legal documents.
- Offering technical support to field officers in the enforcement of environmental laws.
- Attending court proceedings.
- Advising interested groups and Counties on environmental legislation and representing the Authority in judicial and quasi-judicial forums.
Senior Legal Officer Job Requirements
- A Bachelors’ degree in Law (LLB) or its equivalent qualification from a recognized university.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law from Kenya School of Law.
- Certificate in a Management Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks.
- Current practicing certificate.
- Five (5) years working experience in legal practice.
- Demonstrated professional competence in legal practice.
- Be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
How to Apply