Legal Officer Job at Foundation Institute of Africa
To provide quality legal services, in line with Foundation Institute of Africa vision
Legal Officer Job Responsibilities
- Drafting of legal documents, Contracts and Agreements
- Handling cases involving the College in liaison with external lawyers, attending court cases where necessary,
- Coordinating legal matters in the College, preparing and collecting evidence and exhibition as required in court, periodic reports, liaise with other departments on legal matters, service bonds, ensure the College operates within the law,
- Develop and manage College litigation and any other duties as may be assigned.
- Negotiate out of court settlements.
- Assist in legal research and preparing legal opinions
- Respond to any correspondence and/or enquiries regarding claims legal issues.
- Review ongoing cases and advice management accordingly.
- Ensure all legal claims are registered and properly documented.
- Maintain adequate and accurate reserves for legal claims review and update the reserves as appropriate.
- Maintain proper court diary of legal claims and follow up matters.
- Liaise with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- Provide legal and risk management advice to management especially on ongoing cases.
- Offer wise guidance and sound legal counsel to the College, vital in the day-to-day running of activities.
- Conduct the application and registration of intellectual property rights
- Formulation and guidance on preparation of documents such as Memorandum of Understanding, Collaboration Agreements and Proposals
Qualifications for the Legal Officer Job
- Bachelor’s degree in Law or equivalent degree from a reputable institution;
- Post graduate diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law or similar qualification from a recognized institution;
- Minimum of eight (3) years relevant work experience, three (3) of which must have been at a supervisory level; OR have served for three (3) years in a law firm
- An Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and a member of the Law Society of Kenya in good standing;
- Evidence of proficiency and knowledge in Computer Applications; Bachelor’s
- Ability to work in a growing start up organization that embraces all different types of cultures in a workplace.
- Diplomatic approach to any associated conflicts.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks all with an attention to fine details.
- Ability to manage time, processes and effective budget development as well as reporting skills.
- Good legal writing skills
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Strong team player
How to Apply
If you meet the above qualifications, skills and experience send CV and Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position as a subject line on or before 20/9/2018.