Assistant Director of Medical Services/Medical Specialist II (Anesthesiologist) Job at Kakamega County
Department of Health Services
Anesthesiologist Job Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall health care services delivery in the field of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Unit at the Kakamega County General & Teaching Hospital.
- Administering anesthetic or sedation during medical procedures, using local, intravenous, spinal or caudal methods.
- Confer with other medical professionals to determine type and method of anesthetic or sedation to render patient insensible to pain.
- Coordinating administration of anesthetics with surgeons during operation.
- Deciding when patients have recovered or stabilized enough to be sent to another room or ward or to be sent home following outpatient surgery.
- Examining patient, obtain medical history and use diagnostic tests to determine risk during surgical, obstetrical, and other medical procedures.
- Monitoring patient before, during, and after anesthesia and counteract adverse reactions or complications.
- Recording, typing and amounting anesthesia and patient condition throughout procedure.
- Conducting medical research to aid in controlling and curing disease, to investigate new medications, and to develop and test new medical techniques.
- Coordinating and directing work of nurses, medical technicians and other health care providers in the department;
- Informing students and staff of types and methods of anesthesia administration, signs of complications, and emergency methods to counteract reactions;
- Managing anesthesiological services, coordinating them with other medical activities and formulating plans and procedures;
- Position patient on operating table to maximize patient comfort and surgical accessibility.
- Providing and maintaining life support and airway management and help prepare patients for emergency surgery;
- Providing medical care and consultation in many settings, prescribing medication and treatment and referring patients for surgery;
- Instructing individuals and groups on ways to preserve health and prevent disease;
- Scheduling and maintaining use of surgical suite, including operating, wash-up, waiting rooms and anesthetic and sterilizing equipment;
- Assisting with the management of day to day activities and prioritizing tasks;
- Attending and participating in a variety of meetings;
- Participating and assisting in Mass Casualty exercises/events; and
- Any other lawful duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Requirements for the Anesthesiologist Job
For appointment to this grade, one must:
- Be a Kenyan citizen;
- Have a Masters degree in Anesthesia from an institution recognized by Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board;
- Have Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B;Ch.B) degree from an institution recognized by Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board;
- Have served as a Senior Medical Officer for a minimum period of three (3) years;
- Have Registration License from the Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board; and
- Certificate of proficiency in computer operations from a recognized institution.
Terms of Service: Contract
NOTE: APPLICANTS FOR THE ABOVE POSITIONS ARE REQUIRED TO GET CLEARANCE FROM THE UNDERLISTED ORGANISATIONS TO MEET REQUIREMENTS OF CHAPTER SIX OF THE CONSTITUTION OF KENYA 2010:-
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Criminal Investigation Department
- Copies of these clearances MUST be attached to the application documents.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit their applications together with copies of their detailed Curriculum Vitae, Academic and Professional Certificates, Testimonials, National Identity Card or Passport, and any other supporting documents to:
COUNTY PUBLIC SERVICE BOARD
P.O. BOX 458-50100
The position applied for should be indicated on top of the envelope.
Kakamega County residents will be required to indicate their Sub-County and Ward of residence in the application.
Hand delivered applications can be submitted at the County Public Service Board’s Reception located at
Former Provincial Headquarters, Block ‘B’ 2nd Floor.
All applications should reach this office on or before 19th October, 2018.
County Government of Kakamega is an equal opportunity employer
Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification
NOTE: Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted