Travel Operations Manager at ATS Travel
Employment Type; Full Time
Job Level; Senior Management
Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
ATS Travel is a leading travel agency in Kenya with several branches spread across the country. We are looking for competent self-driven and result oriented professional for Travel Operations Manager position in the Travel Department. The position reports to the Managing Director.
The role of the Travel Operations Manager is to lead and coordinate the daily activities of travel consultants, consisting of up to 12 travel consultants. Main objective is to ensure seamless service to ATS TRAVEL clients. Some of the main duties of the Operations Manager include monitoring the overall activity of all travel accounts. Ensure that call and email volumes are monitored to meet the customer service standards. Manage and lead team members to ensure that they are available to provide the contracted customer service during working hours, and have the skills to make arrangement in GDS for flights, transport, and accommodation for a trip.
Sales & Marketing
- Marketing & Selling all travel products- Help in promoting and marketing the business, sometimes to new niche markets, this may need time out of the office to see new prospects and dormant clients. Also may require delegation consultants to specific dormant accounts. (New Business)
- Dealing with customer enquiries & complaints, aiming to meet their expectations- Account Management/Customer service
- Maintaining and following clients for business- (Retention) by ensuring all consultants follow up on client enquiries for closure by calling/emailing to ensure client enquiries are confirmed.
- Developing business strategies to increase profitability
- Ensuring increased sales revenues month by month
- Ensure consultants do telesales on daily basis (train if need be) especially on dormant or inactive accounts for the past one week.
- Track sales per client, comparative analysis of previous year-same month, month to month, propose strategy to increase or maintain sales.
- Online booking tool adoption and awareness
- Manage daily service levels across all communications channels:
- Transaction processing time, i.e. turnaround time. Ensuring all client enquiries are responded to on time as per departmental SLA- domestic/regional tickets, 30minutes- International tickets
- Telephone and email service factor monitored and met
- All enquiries/quotations are converted into sales- 80% conversions through timely follow up of quotations by consultants, keeping records of all enquiries and sales through daily reports
- Client feedback on rejected quotations, and measures to correct the problems thereof
- Provide the highest levels of service delivery to clients and stakeholders. Ensure all client complaints are resolved within 24 hours of reporting
- Ensure 24 hour access and availability to service is seamless and efficient
- Ensure, in coordination with account management, that all team members are aware of client travel policy and service level requirements and participate in client meetings when required.
- Ensure all transactions are charged and that open transactions are investigated and processed in a timely manner. Ensure Ticketing reports are done daily by the consultants by COB.
- Create a Customer First culture and manage culture Change
Financial Management & Reporting
- Ensure maximum profitability of the travel department to the Company by;
- Negotiating with travel partners for best rates (discounted fares, special fares, commissions etc.) to earn competitive advantage
- Ensure airline penalties and losses from consultant errors are minimized – ADMs. Penalties/losses are audited, analyzed, reported and mitigations in place to minimize them.
- Ensure all ticketing reports are done accurately, consultants countercheck the client invoices before signing for dispatch.
- Ensure all unutilized tickets (ticket refunds and tax refunds) are done on time- monthly
- Develop, implement and monitor departmental budgets, maintain statistical/financial records.
- Submit monthly performance & risk reports to management- Sales, profitability etc.
- Develop, review the departmental operational policies, processes & procedures
- Ensure implementation and compliance to policies and procedures through constant supervision
- Ordering stationery and disposables to ensure smooth running of the department
- Ensure cleanliness of the department
- Manage consultant’s weekend rota and 24 hour schedule, ensuring reachability and availability on weekends, holidays and off office hours.
- Manage consultants leave and attendance
- Record keeping for the department- clients lists, consultants managing the accounts, contracts/pre-qualifications and contract expiry dates etc.
- Conduct weekly meetings with consultants (every Wednesday) to update on departmental performance, customer complaints, issues etc.
These includes the following;
- Monitor team activity and workload in order to identify recruitment needs and seek approval.
- Participate in recruitment of approved new team members and conduct interviews in a timely manner and in accordance with company standards. Final recruitment subject to approval with the HR manager and Director
- Constantly motivating the travel team to hit their targets and ensure company profitability;
- Meeting regularly with team leaders to give them sales figures and plan how they approach their work;
- Meeting management to advise on strategy, finding out about any local issues and future trends;
- Overseeing the recruitment, selection and retention of staff as well as staff training;
- Organizing incentives, bonus schemes and commissions in liaison with HR & Operations
- Communicating with consultants and providing encouragement, help and advice;
- Dealing with disciplinary matters and customer complaints.
- Ensure a high level of cooperation/communication between teams, among the operations functions and with all functions in the organization. (E.g. account management, finance, sales and IT).
- Manage, motivate and provide direction to direct reports to achieve agreed targets.
- Maximize team productivity through ongoing reporting, feedback and counseling. Goal setting, review and appraisal process of consultants.
- Constantly drive direct reports to achieve their personal and team KPI’s. Monitor and provide feedback on a daily and weekly basis.
- Complete monthly individual reviews with direct reports and frontline travel consultants covering their KPI’s and defining resulting action items and/or personal development plans.
- Provide performance counseling where necessary, both reactively to improve performance and proactively to foster professional development
- Monitor and report on all issues pertaining to the operation, escalating and closing off all risks
Leadership and Management
- Lead, coach, mentor and empower direct reports to meet the operational goals.
- Ability to mentor direct reports and identify opportunities for growth within the department.
Skills, interests and qualities
The skills required to perform such work are as diverse as the function itself. The most important skills are:
- Excellent written and Oral Communications skills
- Organizational abilities. Planning and prioritizing through execution to monitoring for productivity and efficiency.
- Analytic capabilities/understanding of processes and implementation of SOPs
- A broad understanding of other functions. An attention to detail and analytical.
- Coordination and optimization of processes for maximum efficiency.
- Quick decision-making with a clear focus on problem-solving.
- People skills- must people skills to properly navigate the fine lines with colleagues, subordinates and senior management. Ability to interact and cooperate with all company employees.
- Creativity- ability to finding new ways to improve corporate performance.
- Tech-savvy. Familiar with the most common technologies used in the industry, a deeper understanding of the specific operation technology at the organization including PBX Phone system management, Amadeus/Galileo Script writing, TRAMS Interface experience, Client Base Plus development, integration and deployment for leisure or corporate travel, automated ticket-based ticketing and tracking system.
- IT/Computer Knowledge skills- Expertise with the Galileo/Amadeus GDS platform and web fares integration, working in an automated Quality Control environment, and Implementing best practices.
- Resilience to cope with long hours and pressure at peak times
- Innovation and energy with a desire to drive others;
- Commitment to people management;
- Sound judgment with attention to detail
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree (Tourism & Travel or business related) with relevant managerial and travel-related experience.
- Minimum Experience: 6-10 years of direct supervision of front line travel Consultants in a corporate travel environment.
- Experience managing leisure, group or event travel.
- Specific functional experience, perhaps in operations, marketing, sales, retail or IT role, may be advantageous.
- Advanced knowledge of GDS system – Amadeus/Galileo
- Good leadership skills and knowledge of people management
- General understanding of KPI used in travel industry
- Good understand of customer service skills
- Good financial understanding of budget and reports
- A strong business acumen
- Excellent Phone & E-mail etiquette
- You could be on call 24 hours a day. Should be prepared to work late hours and also on holidays if need be.
How To Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their applications through email to email@example.com to HR Manager; with subject line as “Travel Operations Manager” by 18th December, 2018.
The application should be a cover letter and CV as one document and indicate the title of the position on the subject line this will ensure we capture your application in the right way.
Applications should include contact details of three professional referees. One referee must be the applicant’s immediate supervisor