Operations Officer Jobs, Administration Jobs, Mercy Corps Jobs
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Location: Mombasa, Kenya
Program / Department Summary: Mercy Corps is implementing a multi-year, 12 million GBP Preventing Violent Extremism (PVE) program funded by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office through the Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF).
This program will engage local and national government, local civil society organizations and communities to mitigate the drivers, enablers and narratives of violent extremism in East Africa through support to policy initiatives, community engagement, and support to national civil society organizations in order to prevent the recruitment of vulnerable individuals by violent extremist organizations.
The program will work in Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Mozambique and Uganda, through strategies adapted to the context and opportunities in each country to advance research, legislation and field implementation of programme activities.
The Operations Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the operations functions.
The overriding objective for all administration and logistics operations is the prompt and effective provision of support services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
General Position Summary: The Operations Officer will provide logistical and administrative support to the program during the program implementation period. The support role of the Officer will be program focused, but not limited to Kenya. S/he will also be expected to provide administrative and logistical support to other countries where the program is operating on a need basis and as requested by the supervisor.
- Manage the organization’s and rented vehicles, ensuring that all are safe and road-worthy, have proper on-board vehicle documentation, and separate vehicle files.
- Track vehicle log-sheets and compile on a monthly for submission.
- Schedule vehicle use to meet programmatic and operational needs by maintaining vehicle daily movement board.
- Oversee and ensure proper use of the vehicles by overseeing fuel consumption, purchase and tracking including coordination with filling station(s).
- Organize regular service schedules for vehicles, maintain service schedule files and ensure major repairs are done in a timely manner.
- Track vehicle expenses and file monthly vehicle consumables sheet for each vehicle.
- Ensure regular vehicle communications and ensure security measures for vehicles such as parking, storage of keys, emergency supplies.
- Responsible for oversight of vehicle rentals including tracking of leases and payments.
- Support the program with the required logistics information including costs, availability of products etc.
- Collect Vehicle Service Requests from driver(s) and submit for approval.
- Ensure that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy and organize regular, timely service schedules for vehicles and maintaining service schedule files.
- Ensure that security incident reports are completed and filed (if related to vehicles).
- Daily coordination of the program’s procurement activities and assist staff with procurement activities as required.
- Procure requested program support items in a timely manner, ensuring that Mercy Corps procurement procedures are followed.
- Assist staff as needed in creating clear and understandable Purchase Requests (PRs) and other documentation.
- Collect quotations and bids from vendors as per Mercy Corps policies and procedures, support as required in convening bids and quotes evaluation committee meetings and Quotation Analysis and bid evaluation documentation as necessary.
- Prepare contracts and Local Purchase Orders as per MC formats and templates.
- Coordinate procurement needs requests received in liaison with the operations team to ensure segregation of duties is upheld as stipulated in Field Procurement Policies and Procedures.
- Assist as needed in training staff on MC procurement policies and formats.
- Update and submit monthly PR master list as required.
- Track preferred supplier agreements and other service contracts.
- Allocate MC owned mobile phones and data modems including timely settlement of bills.
- Coordinate stationary and office supplies.
- Ensure proper management and coordination of staff travel arrangements including transport and security.
- Establish and maintain appropriate filing systems for office correspondence.
- Provide the Program team with logistical support in organizing project related workshops and meetings and any other necessary preparations.
- Manage and update inventory and stock list in the Mombasa office.
- Organize the program’s operations files and keep them updated as needed.
- Coordinate with the landlord of the Mombasa office to ensure that the building is well maintained and that leasing documents are in order.
- Ensure that the office portrays a professional image.
- Monitor and implement asset tracking system including use of asset tags, movement of assets, disposal of assets and update asset registry both manually and electronically including proper registration and issuance of newly purchased assets in the field office.
- Inform staff about security situations in the area, coordinate with local authorities and other agencies on security related issues and provide appropriate advice to the staff and in particular, the management team.
- In cooperation with the security focal and programs lead, support in regular review of the Coast region security management plan and updating of Standard operating procedures.
- Ensure incident and accident reporting is conducted as necessary – this includes completion of incident report forms, informing necessary actors of incidents and maintaining incident report files. Meet regularly with Head of Office to share necessary information.
- Provide regular briefings/trainings to national staff on preventative security measures and conduct in the MC office. Ensure safety and security protocols are communicated to the team and visitors including any potential security threats.
- Ensure that all necessary measures are taken to provide MC employees and visitors with a safe working environment as detailed in existing guidelines, including ensuring that fire safety regulations and procedures are in place adhered to in the Mombasa office.
- Monitor the general security situation in project implementation areas and produce regular bi-weekly written reports on the project sites based on the current information available.
- Ensure program team members comply to the Field security policies including security Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs)/protocols.
- Driver and Office Assistant
- Reports Directly To: Senior Operations Officer with dotted line to Mombasa based Head of Office.
- Works Directly With: The Program team, Finance team, Operations Team and implementing partner organizations
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management or a related discipline.
- Professional qualification and certification in Procurement and Supply Chain from a recognized institution is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in operational coordination and support functions with an International Non-Governmental Organization.
- Demonstrated hands on application of procurement process and procedures.
- Excellent negotiation, representation, skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to multitask, follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Willingness to learn Mercy Corps systems and procedures is required.
Success Factors: A successful Operations Officer will have the ability to work as part of a team to coordinate with program staff and simultaneously on multiple tasks. S/he will maintain high integrity in performing assigned responsibilities and act as the intermediary between program and operations staff to ensure smooth process flow.