Principal Legal Officer Jobs, Legal Jobs, IPOA Jobs
The position is responsible to the Director Complaints and Legal Services through the Head of Legal Services for advise to the Authority on all legal matters and representation in court
Specific duties and responsibilities will entail: –
- Liaising with the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution and other relevant State Agencies on all legal matters affecting the Authority;
- Providing adequate representation of IPOA in civil and criminal court proceedings;
- Carrying out comprehensive analysis of evidence, which includes evaluation of evidence gathered in the course of the investigations and to prepare prosecution reports and briefs;
- Participating in reviews and the formulation of legal policies and practices;
- Participating in negotiations of treaties and contracts;
- Providing legal opinions/advice and reports on legal matters as required;
- Interpreting legal instruments and statutes;
- conducting legal assignments and projects;
- Representation in legal, civil and criminal court proceedings;
- Participating in discussions of legal concepts and development processes, risks and opportunities;
- Undertaking conveyancing and provide legal advice to the Authority; and
- Drafting and reviewing contracts and leases.
- Must be a citizen of Kenya.
- Meets the requirements of Chapter six of the Constitution of Kenya.
For appointment to this grade, an officer must have: –
- A Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized institution;
- Post graduate diploma in legal studies;
- Registered as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- Served for a minimum period of three (3) years in the grade of either Senior Legal Officer or nine (9) years post admission experience in Law as a legal practitioner/state counsel/ or judicial officer;
- Attended Senior Management Course lasting not less than three (3) weeks from a recognized institution;
- Certificate in computer application skills; and
- Demonstrated professional competence, integrity and capability in work performance.
Required Behavioural Skills
- Candidates must be a person of integrity, demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be a team player;
- Strong supervisory skills, including motivating, developing, coaching and leading teams;
- Demonstrated high ethical standards;
- Be an effective communicator with excellent analytical and negotiations skills;
- Excellent knowledge of relevant computer software and applications
All applicants MUST attach valid/current clearances from the following bodies:
- Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA);
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC);
- Higher Education Loans Board (HELB);
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI); and
- Credit Reference Bureau (CRB).
How to apply
Interested persons who meet the requirements should submit their application through Post Office, email, online or by hand delivery, clearly indicating the position, on both the cover letter and envelope, together with IPOA Employment Application Form (available: https://portal.ipoa.go.ke/careers/ ), a detailed CV, copies of academic certificates, national identity card, names and telephone contacts of three referees, so as to reach the Authority by Friday, 12th July, 2019 to:
Director/Chief Executive Officer,
Independent Policing Oversight Authority,
1st Ngong Avenue, ACK Garden Annex, 2nd Floor,
P.O Box 23035 – 00100, NAIROBI.
Online application portal: https://portal.ipoa.go.ke/careers/
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Locals from Turkana County are encouraged to apply for the Complaints Management Officer II position above.
IPOA is an equal opportunity employer and shall not in its recruitment discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, ethnic origin, political affiliation, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, disability, health or social status.