Kenya Association of Music Producers (KAMP) and Performers Rights Society of Kenya (PRISK) are Collective Management Organizations licensed by the Kenya Copyright Board under the Copyright Act, Cap 130 Laws of Kenya to represent producers of sound recordings and performers of audio and audiovisual works, respectively. KAMP and PRISK are both mandated to collect license fees from the users of sound recordings and audiovisual works and distribute royalties to their respective rights holders.
KAMP-PRISK jointly, are seeking to hire a full time, resourceful and skilled Legal Officer to provide professional support at the Head Office in Nairobi. The legal officer will serve as legal advisor to the company. It’s the duty of the Legal Officer to oversee every aspect of the business’s legal affairs and challenges. The Legal Officer will help the company minimize its legal risks by advising the company’s other officers and board members on any major legal and regulatory issues the company confronts, such as litigation risks. His/her responsibilities typically will include lawsuits, regulation compliance, and training company staff to stay within the law
- Reporting to the CEO (KAMP) and CEO (PRISK), the Legal Officer is responsible for supporting the Company with the legal matters.
- Advise the Boards and the secretariat on the changes to the laws affecting the two companies including the copyright law and companies’ law among others.
- Ensure and advise the two companies and their staff and directors comply with relevant laws
- Assist in the formulation, implementation and/or amendment of policies affecting the two companies.
- Provide sound legal advice to the two companies and make recommendations to Management and the Boards as necessary.
- Oversee lawsuits, possibly acting as the litigator on behalf of the two companies.
- Ensure the legal records and preparation of legal documents as may be required r relating to the two companies is up to date
- Draw and manage the annual legal budgets for the two companies and ensure they get quality legal services at reasonable costs.
- Initiate and pursue legal proceedings as required by the two companies i.e. prepare summonses, injunctions, submissions and other proceedings in civil and criminal cases both “for and against” the two companies.
- Prepare, file and plead cases in commercial courts in pursuit of amounts owed to the two companies.
- Advise on civil matters that should be directed to the external lawyers or legal firms.
- Liaise with and assist external lawyers/legal firms in the discharge of their contracted mandates by the two companies.
- Advise the two companies on statutory compliances.
- Research and prepare legal opinions on various civil matters including claims for compensation against the two companies.
- Draft and /or review letters, contracts, and agreements and monitor legal obligations under the agreements to ensure compliance.
- Represent the two companies at arbitration hearings and public participation forums
- Maintain a database of the status of all court matters involving the two companies
- Submit quarterly work reports to the management of the two companies.
- Maintain a database of qualified legal firms or lawyers whom the two companies can engage from time to time to represent the two companies.
- Must possess at least a First Degree in Law or its equivalent from a recognized Institution and a Diploma in Law from Kenya School of Law.
- Should be a qualified Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and registered with a relevant professional body and also with a valid practicing certificate.
- Should have minimum 4 years of related work experience, of which must be in a similar position at least for 1 year.
- Having a good understanding of the Music Industry and the operations of Collective Management Societies(CMOs) in Kenya and or exposure to copyright law shall be an added advantage
- Should possess a high level of professionalism, integrity, and ability to deal with confidential matters.
- Should have excellent interpersonal communication skills at all levels (verbal and written).
How to Apply:
If you meet the above requirements, please send your Cover Letter Resume and Expected Salary to the address below. All applications must be delivered on or before 10th January 2019. The subject of the email should be “LEGAL OFFICER”. KAMP-PRISK Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com