Research Station Officer Job at One Acre Fund
JOB LOCATION: Sagana REPORTS TO: Crop Research Station Supervisor
Most of the world’s poor are farmers, representing the largest and most uniform group of poor people in the world. One Acre Fund is a growing NGO in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Malawi, Zambia and Tanzania that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential.
Instead of giving handouts, One Acre Fund invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We provide farmers with a “market bundle” that includes education, finance, farm inputs and solar lights, and market access. Our program is proven impactfulevery year, we weigh thousands of harvests and measure 50-100% average gain in farm income per acre. We have laser-like focus on generating better lives for the people that we serve.
We are growing quickly. In ten years, we have grown to serve 0ver 500,000 farm families with more than 5,000 fulltime field staff. Our approach has won widespread validation, winning grants from The MasterCard Foundation and Gates Foundation.
The mandate of the Product Innovations Team is to develop and test new products and product delivery systems. As a member of the Product Innovations team, you contribute to the research needed to move products from early stage trials to scale.
Roles for the Research Station Officer Job
- Know Your Trials: Develop a thorough knowledge of the requirements for crop station trials including planting, top dressing, and harvesting
- Trial Supervision: Supervise anywhere from 5 – 10 crop station trials each season, including all trial replications
- Ensure Quality Execution: Fully understand the quality policy and meet quality standards by conducting regular follow ups to the trial plots to ensure quality standards are met
- Perform Hard Labor Duties: Carry out all labor related activities as required by your manager, including land preparation, planting, top dressing, harvesting and all intermediate tasks.
- In summary, your role will require you to physically maintain the trial plots assigned to you using the farm equipment provided to you.
- Carry out Technical Tasks: Carry out all technical activities as required by your manager, including spraying, creating planting tools (such as planting strings, planting sticks and row sticks), creating harvest boxes, etc.
We are an international non-profit that works in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Uganda, Malawi and Zambia. In these countries, our 5,000+ strong staff serves over 500,000 smallholder farmers and enables them to grow their way out of hunger and poverty.
- Quantitative Data Collection: Conduct quantitative data collection according to trial requirements, including at planting, top dressing and harvesting, and ensure data quality and accuracy
- Meet KPI Targets: Follow work plan set in the weekly meeting and track daily activities and KPI’s to report to your supervisor
- Participate in Trainings & Staff Activities: Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings and trainings
Research Station Officer Job Requirements
- A minimum of 2 years work experience in a related field
- National Identification Card (ID)
- Minimum Education; KSCE D+
- Strong numeric and data collections skills
- Knowledge of agricultural practices for smallholder farmers
- Excellent communication skills
- Exceptional personal organizational skills and attention to detail
- Time management skills and ability to work independently
- Positive attitude with a strong work ethic
- Demonstrated commitment to teamwork and collaboration
- Eager to learn, teach, enhance current processes and develop new operations
- Be willing to participate in hard physical labor, using the farm equipment provided
- Humility, we are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with patience and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders
- Passionate about serving smallholder farmers
- Language: English, Kiswahili required
How to Apply
If you feel motivated to work for One Acre Fund as the PI Research Station Officer and if you fulfill our requirements for this role, we look forward to receiving your application by 29th July, 2018.
To apply, please click on this link
You will be prompted to a form that must be completed. At the end of the form you will have the opportunity to write a motivational letter and upload your CV.
PLEASE NOTE You must be 18 years or older to qualify for any position at One Acre Fund. One Acre Fund will never ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.