Who We Are:
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The Participatory Slum Upgrading Programme (PSUP) launched in 2008, is a joint initiative between UN-Habitat, Africa, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Secretariat, and the European Commission. The Programme equips countries with tools to improve the living conditions of slum dwellers while preventing the proliferation of new slums.
This position is located in UN-Habitat’s Housing and Slum Upgrading Branch in Nairobi.
- Provides assistance in support of planning and implementation activities/processes for, typically, a large and highly complex component of the departmental programme/project initiatives like to Participatory Slum Upgrading Programme (PSUP).
- Researches, compiles, analyses, summarizes and presents basic information/data on specific programmes/project and related topics with a particular focus on informal settlements and slums.
- Assists in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation; monitors status of programme/project proposals; takes necessary action to ensure project documents are completed and submitted to relevant parties for approval.
- Supports the implementation of community development tools, conduct community training workshops and helps to make participatory processes and information available to community members.
- Assists in the preparation and analysis of programme/project budget proposals; provides assistance in the interpretation of budget guidelines; reviews and coordinates submissions of programme proposals and budget estimates, ensuring that requisite information is included and justified in terms of proposed activities; propose adjustments as necessary; prepares reports and ensures that outputs/services are properly categorized.
- Assists in rolling-out national urban programme campaigns in 30 countries.
- Assists in the monitoring and evaluation of programmes/projects; categorizes, updates, tracks and analyses data related to programmes/projects, e.g. accounting records, outputs, resources utilized, deviations/revisions, etc.; carries out periodic status reviews, identifies issues and initiates requisite follow-up actions; prepares revised budget estimates; reports on budget revisions, expenditures and obligations, verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system; initiates financial authorizations for expenditures.
- Collaborates with programme/project managers on performance reporting; liaises with relevant parties on the interpretation of the activities/services scheduled in the PB and various planning instruments such as the medium-term plan and internal work plans; provides assistance on reporting requirements, guidelines, rules and procedures and ensures completeness and accuracy of data submitted.
- Drafts programme/project summaries coordinates review and clearance process and coordinates with the editor, translation services, etc. on finalization and publication of report multiple languages.
- Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organisational units to initiate requests, prepare standard terms of reference against programme/project objectives, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions and resolve issues related to project implementation, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, organisation of and participation in training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
- Prepares, maintains and updates files (electronic and paper) and internal databases; designs and generates a variety of periodic and ad-hoc reports, statistical tables, graphic content, and other background materials/notes to facilitate inspection and other reviews.
- Drafts correspondence and communications related to all aspects of programme/project administration, including work plan and budgets, revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports.
- Provides guidance and training to new/junior staff and acts as a focal point for the recruitment and introduction of interns to the programme
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required education: Bachelor’s degree
Required relevant work experience: 7 years
Required skills: Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E); Data collection; Project preparation and planning; Project Financial Management; Data analysis
Required languages: English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)