Project Manager Job at KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is one of the leading research centres in Africa. The Programme engages in a wide range of research on the main causes of ill health in Africa.The Bioscience department, KWTRP is seeking to appoint a postdoctoral researcher to work in the Next Generation
Reference Number: PM-05092018
The position is responsible for oversight of research grant budgets and project assets.
The KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) based in Kilifi, Kenya, conducts high quality research focussing on diseases that present a significant burden on low and middle-income countries. KWTRP is a partnership between the Kenya Medical Research Institute, the Wellcome Trust and the University of Oxford, and a world-renowned health research unit. KWTRP works with scientists, health services and local communities to achieve better health, while developing local scientific leadership and infrastructure.
With 200 staff, 15-20 active research grants with a combined value in excess of £10m, the Epidemiology and Demography Department (EDD) is the largest department at KWTRP. EDD conducts multidisciplinary studies in three areas: Invasive Bacterial Diseases, Virus Epidemiology and Control, and Human Genetic Factors. EDD is also home to the Kilifi Health and Demographic Surveillance System, a pioneer in the integration of field, hospital and laboratory surveillance data. Working predominantly in Kenya, EDD collaborates with partners in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Uganda, Europe and the USA.
The EDD Project Manager will have specific responsibility for the new Application of Genomics and Modelling to Virus Pathogen Control (GeMVi) in East Africa grant, and play an important management role for other major grants within the Department.
Key Responsibilities for the Project Manager Job
- Ensure effective project plans are in place for EDD projects, working with the Principal Investigator and project team to develop these and monitor their implementation from initiation through to implementation, monitoring, evaluation and closure; identify when projects are not running according to plan and initiate corrective action.
- Take responsibility for the day to day management of specified EDD projects, working with colleagues in the EDD Operations team and central administrative functions, including finance, procurement, HR and IT.
- Ensure that project reports, publications etc. are prepared, reviewed and submitted on time and in line with KWTRP institutional policies and external regulations.
- Organise and maintain project information in a systematic and secure way, including contracts, standard operating procedures, regulatory documentation and reports to sponsors.
- Work with the Department Accountant and KWTRP Finance function to ensure project finances are monitored and managed in accordance with institutional policies, and take steps to ensure that projects remain within budget.
- Work with colleagues in EDD and the Research Office to prepare and submit regulatory documents to sponsors and regulatory bodies, obtain approvals for projects’ start, continuation and amendments, and ensure protocols are uploaded and kept updated on the KWTRP Protocol Tracking System.
- Work with EDD data managers and the KWTRP data governance officer to ensure collection, storage and access to research data is in compliance with institutional, governance, funder and publisher requirements.
- Manage internal and external communications for specific projects, including organising meetings and events, updating website content and engaging with the media working with the KWTRP communications department.
- Manage information, prepare reports and have oversight of key operational processes in the Department, e.g. monthly management dashboard, proposals folder, staff contracts, risk register.
- Supervise and mentor junior staff within the Department Operations team as required.
- Assist and deputise for the Department Manager.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Project Manager Job Qualifications
- Essential qualifications and experience
- Masters Degree in a relevant subject, which may include medical or natural sciences, Business Management or administration.
- Relevant Bachelors Degree.
- At least eight years’ work experience in high-level administration/ project management, ideally in the academic, research or development sector.
- Project management qualification.
- Line management experience and/or matrix management of a team.
- Experience of communications and information management.
- Experience of regulatory and compliance issues in health research.
- Experience of negotiating and/or reviewing contracts for research.
- Experience of working in public health and an understanding of health systems.
- Exceptional project management skills, proficiency in using project management tools and the ability to manage multiple large projects simultaneously.
- High level administration and management skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to network, communicate, be diplomatic and maintain strong local and international relationships.
- Evidenced ability to produce high quality written reports and presentations in English, with strong attention to detail.
- Significant skills in leadership, organization, prioritisation, problem solving and decision making.
- Financially literate with ability to produce budgets, financial reports and to manage resources.
- High level of computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Enthusiasm and willingness to get involved and support the work and life of the Department and KWTRP
- Based at the KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme in Kilifi, Kenya.
How to Apply