Project Officer Jobs, Communication Jobs, Biovision Jobs
Job Purpose & Scope:
The Organic Farmer Magazine (TOF) project is part of the Biovision Farmer Communication
Programme (FCP) in Biovision Africa Trust (BvAT). Reporting to the Farmer Communication
Programme Coordinator and working closely with the externally selected TOF Magazine
vendor, the Project Officer (PO) oversees the planning, publication, printing and distribution
of the monthly TOF magazine to its target groups. The PO has to ensure that the content of
the TOF Magazine is carefully selected responding to target groups’ needs and in line with
principles of ecologically sustainable agriculture and thoroughly proofread, edited and
checked for accuracy, easy read and relevance.
- Plan content themes in response to target groups’ needs and publishing schedules for
each TOF issue in consultation with the externally sourced vendor, FCP Coordinator
and relevant project staff.
- Solicit, write and manage contributions of articles tailored to the themes of each issue
and be responsible for the quality management of the content and design of the
magazine by consulting with the parties and contributors involved.
- Discern and ensure that contributions made, both solicited and unsolicited, are
consistent with Biovision’s ecological development strategy and ICIPE’s policy and
positions and support the principles of ecological and sustainable agriculture.
- Ensure that all space advertisements paid for and sponsorship packages offered, or
otherwise provided by FCP are in line with the values of FCP and follow BvAT editorial
- Liaise with the external vendor to ensure timelines for the production of the monthly
magazine are adhered to.
- Liaise with external vendor for the soft copy of the magazine and submit to the FCP
Coordinator and the ED for further review and eventual approval by before taking the
final document on CD-R or flash-disk to the Press for printing.
- Supervise and monitor the distribution of the TOF magazine by distributors,
subscribers including FCP’s Outreach field staff through the resource centres.
- Support and supervise contributors and other project staff in line with their
responsibilities and contracts.
- Preference is to have someone with a master’s degree in Mass Communication,
Development Studies, Broadcast Journalism or related field from a credited institution of higher learning.
- Candidates with knowledge in both communication and agricultural
background are most preferred.
- At least 5 years’ progressive experience in agricultural or community communication
development, publishing and agricultural broadcast/ journalism.
- Experience in handling publishing projects.
- Experience in working with creative teams and printing firms to develop print resources
such as magazines and booklets.
- Experience in monitoring implementation of project activities.
- Experience in writing winning project concept notes and proposals.
- Information gathering, writing, editing and layout for magazine production combined
with knowledge in photography. Knowledge of current trends in agriculture especially
sustainable agriculture and organic farming.
- Excellent writer and editor with ability to interpret and communicate complex
scientific ideas through simple messages and formats.
- Good understanding of the publishing process.
- Team player, good communicator (both written and spoken), excellent interpersonal
skills, work under minimum supervision, self-motivated and go-getter, love/high
regard for farming and farmer.
- Proven ability to work with multiple teams.
- Sound knowledge of project monitoring and evaluation.
- Networking and partnership building skills.
- Proficiency in using Windows Operating System as well as Microsoft Office
applications (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Understanding of and personal commitment to ecologically sustainable agriculture.
- Willingness and ability to travel locally and regionally.
- Should be fluent in oral and written English and Swahili.
How to Apply:
If you believe you are the right candidate for any of the above position and can clearly
demonstrate your ability to meet the requirements, please submit your detailed CV and
application letter indicating summary of your key qualifications and expected salary to
The closing date for applications is 6th November 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Biovision Africa Trust is an equal opportunity employer.