Graduate Assistant (Senior School) Job at St. Andrews, Turi
St Andrew’s, Turi is highly respected in Kenya and regarded as one of the leading international schools in East Africa. Numbering approximately 570 pupils, it has two semi-autonomous schools: a Preparatory School of 240 pupils between the ages of 3 and 13 and a Senior School of 330 pupils between the ages of 13 and 18. It is coeducational and the great majority of pupils are boarders. The School has an overtly Christian foundation and sees its overall aim as encouraging young men and women to ‘live and lead with integrity’.
The Senior School was founded in 1988 and is a member of COBIS and a global member of Round Square. It aims to provide a world class education with outstanding teaching and learning central to its vision of creating leaders that will change their country, continent and the world for good.
The Graduate Assistant is key in supporting academic, pastoral and co-curricular work of the Senior School. Reporting to the House Parent, the Graduate Assistant is a member of the School’s Pastoral team and acts as a moral and spiritual mentor within the School. The role is suited to a young graduate with a degree, strong academic ability coupled with strong pastoral intuition and ability to work alongside teenagers as well as ability to support, promote and uphold the Christian ethos of the School.
In return, the School will offer the successful applicant an exciting and dynamic working environment, mentoring and leadership development, happy and enthusiastic pupils who enjoy learning, suitable accommodation onsite, and a strong sense of community living.
It is essential that the applicant is a practising Christian.
- St Andrew’s Senior School is seeking to appoint a Graduate Assistant who will assist the house parents in providing pastoral care within the boarding house teams and act as a model in all areas to pupils within the boarding house.
- Reporting to the House parent in the respective boarding house, the Graduate Assistant will be responsible for supporting teachers in classes, students on a one to one basis in smaller groups, running of academic clubs and maintain and update certain departmental and general School notice boards.
- They will also liaise with the Deputy Head Pastor in matters related to tutoring of groups of pupils and cover for academic lessons.
- The applicant will be expected to contribute strongly to the co-curricular life of the school.
- Working at St Andrew’s, Turi, is an exciting and dynamic experience. We look to recruit committed and resourceful staff, who are looking to not only develop their skills and leadership capacities, but also embrace new experiences and challenges.
- There are some things that are essential to working with us. The successful candidate will need to be able to support the School’s aims and Christian ethos. They will have to have a degree in education or related field.
- Beyond that we want to have staff who love working as part of a team; who are first-class communicators and who are passionate about the subjects and pupils they teach; who are creative and diligent in their planning; who are adaptable, energetic and resilient.
- Experience of working in a School environment, or in boarding, would be desirable, but not essential. Above all, what matters is a commitment to help us provide a world-class education for our children.
Terms and Conditions
There is a generous overall remuneration package as detailed below
- Salary: The successful applicant will be placed on a reasonable wage salary.
- Accommodation: suitable rent free accommodation within the boarding house will be provided as a taxable benefit. .
- Medical care: a comprehensive medical insurance scheme will be provided for the successful candidate.
- Meals: these are provided during term time as a taxable benefit.
- Facilities: extensive sports facilities are open to use by staff and their families
Hours of work and holiday entitlement
The role is full-time and includes working in the evening and at weekends as required.
The successful applicant will be expected to take a full and active part in the boarding life of the school. S/He will also be expected to work during some of the holidays.
St Andrew’s School, Turi is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
The successful applicant will undertake their role and responsibilities in accordance with St Andrew’s School’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy and Guidelines and will be required to undergo all checks relevant to the post.
How To Apply
To find out more please contact the HR Director, Ms Janet Ndiho.
Tel: +254 (0) 734288501
Applications are encouraged as early as possible. These should be submitted by email to the HR Director at HRDirector@turimail.co.ke and include: a completed application form can be found here, a brief covering letter and a CV. Application forms are available on the School website, or from the HR Director.
- Closing date for applications: 28th December, 2018
- Start Date: 1st January 2019 or September 2019