News Reporter Job at Standard Media (Radio Maisha-Kisumu)
The Standard Group PLC is a multi-media organization with investments in media platforms spanning Newspaper print operations, Television, Radio broadcasting, Digital and Online services, as well as Outdoor advertising. Our various media platforms include: The Standard Newspaper, KTN Home, KTN News, KTN Burudani, Farmers T.V, Radio Maisha, The Nairobian weekly newspaper, Think Outdoor (billboard advertising) and Standard Digital.
The Group is looking for qualified, experienced and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position News Reader/ Reporter – Radio Maisha (Nairobi)
The job holder will be responsible for covering, researching and writing stories for Radio Maisha.
- Taking notes, carrying out interviews, checking out facts and submitting stories within set deadlines during assignments
- Researching and collecting background information required to make stories complete, topical, informative, credible and analytical and compliant with journalistic ethics
- Writing and processing stories collected to ensure they are balanced, properly presented, free of error and in line with laid down editorial policy and house style
- Following news leads and maintaining close and effective contact with news sources
- Informing the News Editor of work progress and any problems encountered and areas where assistance or facilitation to complete the assignment within deadline may be required
- Identify areas of improvement/development in daily news reporting and making appropriate recommendations to the Editor
- Ensuring there are no cases of libel and or defamation in stories filed to avoid legal suits.Ensure a high degree of staff morale and discipline.
- Undertake quarterly appraisals of KPIs.
- Diploma in Mass Communication, Degree in a Communication, Journalism or related degree from a recognized institution.
- 2 years’ experience in a busy broadcasting station.
Skills and attributes
- Ability to work within established rules, regulations, policies and practices.
- Good voice for radio broadcast
- Fluent in Kiswahili language both spoken and written
- Ability to make sound judgement and independent decisions
How To Apply
If you possess the above qualifications and the drive to meet the challenge, visit our website www.standardmedia.co.ke/recruitment to browse through the current openings/vacancies and apply not later than 2nd December, 2018.
The Standard Group is an equal opportunity employer and as such, canvassing of any form will lead to automatic disqualification. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.