One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the financing and training they need to grow their way out of hunger and poverty. Instead of giving handouts, we invest in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We supply a complete service bundle of seeds and fertilizer, financing, training, and market facilitation— and we deliver these services within walking distance of over 600,000 rural farmers we serve.
One Acre Fund empowers farmers to grow their way out of hunger by delivering only the highest quality agricultural inputs & life improving products on time every season. It’s the Global Sourcing team’s job to make those inputs readily available at the right price and quality when farmers need them.
The Global Sourcing team is responsible for effectively sourcing and delivering over $60M worth of inputs to One Acre Fund’s regional warehouses across 6 countries of operation. This involves developing a flexible sourcing strategy, navigating a complex & evolving regulatory environment, and developing tight quality controls to guarantee inputs make it from supplier to 1AF warehouse at the best possible price & quality. it’s our job to represent the voices of our clients at the top of the value chain, bringing them the same purchasing power, state of art quality control mechanisms, and timely deliveries as a large scale agribusiness.
The Supply Chain Operations Associate will design and implement processes, systems, and data-integration tools that will work at scale. S/he will deliver results on a set of high impact projects designed to drive increased efficiency and eliminate waste across our supply chain operations, drive cost savings for farmers, and prepare our systems to work as One Acre Fund scales to deliver a broader mix of products to more clients across a larger geography. Success in this role means supporting the sourcing team to deliver goods more effectively and efficiently, thereby driving organization-wide sustainability.
The Overarching Goals Of This Role Are To
- Drive waste out of the value chain through a set of focused, high-impact projects and process improvements
- Deliver better system and data integration across the supply chain team from demand planning to purchasing to inventory management
- Improve controls environment to prevent and detect over-spend events and fraud
- Work with the Supply Chain Operations Manager to improve order accuracy to dramatically reduce excess inventory without risking stock-outs
- Make team key performance indicators visible to executors and organization leadership to justify investments in supply chain operations
- Driving innovation in sourcing operations to eliminate waste: Work with Supply Chain Manager to drive innovation across the global sourcing and local procurement teams by executing strategic projects and thinking creatively. Example projects include:
- Create and execute strategy for handling excess inventory between seasons
- Invest in data-driven forecasting and new warehousing and sourcing strategies to minimize excess inventory in regional warehouses without risking stock-outs during key seasonal deliveries
- Investigate projects that could save massive amounts of money such as central warehousing to reduce local warehousing costs
- Design risk mitigation strategies in partnership with product and policy team to insulate farmers from input availability issues
- Identifying other methods for reducing repetition, spend, and manual movements from sourcing processes – may include collaborating with warehousing, last-mile-distribution, and finance teams in addition to immediate global sourcing colleagues
- Improve system integration:
- Streamline order processing and tracking tools to reduce repetition and manual data entry
- Move cash forecasting process into SAP with support from Global Sourcing Manager
- Design and create PowerBI reports to give greater data visibility on key performance indicators to sourcing team and 1AF leadership – will also require setting up data inputs for ease of reporting
- Tighten controls environment:
- Update and manage full set of team-wide SOPs for improved knowledge transfer and new staff onboarding
- Identify and close controls gaps in sourcing processes with buy-in from team leadership and executors to reduce possible fraud or over-spend events
- Run fraud prevention trainings
- Report on controls to systems and organizational leadership
- Capacity building:
- Learn systems and processes across sourcing units in order to fill mission critical gaps as needed
- Run capacity building workshops and trainings across the Sourcing team focused on hard skills (i.e. Microsoft suite, data presentation skills, writing for clarity, etc.)
- Work with sourcing managers to evaluate hard-skills gaps on their team required for proper succession planning and design training courses to help staff across the sourcing team master those skills
- Identify strong talent pools to support with recruitment at all job grades
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with 4-7 years or work experience, top performing academic background, and a passion for reducing waste across supply chain operations. Prior operations or consulting experience preferred but not required if the candidate has a track record of independent problem solving and innovation in a fast growing organization. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Passion for operations, building scalable and efficient systems and solving problems in a difficult operating environment
- Work experience in a demanding professional environment, preferably in positions where frequent cross-department communication was required
- Experience in an operations, consulting, manufacturing, or supply chain role preferred
- Track record of independent problem solving and delivering results
- Strong data and analytical skills; advanced Excel a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a multi-cultural workplace
- Creativity and strong problem solving skills. You don’t take no for an answer and constantly look for alternative solutions to problems.
- Strong attention to detail – you can pick out a mistake in a contract from a mile away
- Strong quantitative reasoning skills – you can QC contracts, POs, and orders effectively without support
- Professional maturity and ability to stay calm under stress
- A passion for world class customer service
- Proven ability to set and meet targets
- Strong work ethic and ability to handle a demanding, high pressure work environment
- Strong sense of ethics, honesty, and integrity
- Leadership experience at work or outside of work.
- Top-performing academic background
Language: English required, French and Swahili preferred
How to Apply